Love. Food. Lots.

Cooking.

Eating.

Sharing.

Enjoying.

Tasting.

Savouring.

We can talk about this all you like.

But after a while, you gotta shut up and eat.

Find this on Facebook

Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Should Be So Lucky.....

There is nothing quite like travel to remind me how freaking lucky I am. Though I spend much of my year dreaming of all the far flung places I’d like to visit, creeping agonizingly through weeks of anticipation and dull drudgery until I’m leaving on a jet plane, one of the first things I experience when I’m somewhere else is how good I’ve got it where I usually am.  In the comfort of an air conditioned cab on the way to some nice hotel cloaked in Paradise, I witness a gazillion lives go whizzing past and wonder where the hell do I get off ever complaining about stuff like my coffee being too hot or that I feel fat today.

Most people in the world don’t have it as good as me. And dare I say it, if you are reading this blog, probably don’t have it as good as you too. Whenever a dark cloud begins to descend after another ironically cruel professional rejection or personal set back, I remind myself I will never be hungry and I will never be homeless. I have a huge and supportive, crazy, loving family. Some of the smartest, warmest and most loyal people in the world have chosen me as their friend. And I found out on the other side of 40 that one of my lifelong best pals was actually the love of my life.

Sorry, I thought I was Elizabeth Gilbert there for a second. Except with out the book deal. Dang.

But you get the drift. Not to trivialize the challenges that confront a modern day Western woman; these can be, as I can personally attest, soul destroying, utterly agonizing and no fun at all. But at least at the end of these challenges I can get all Zen and say to myself, “I learned so much from that experience. I am grateful for the opportunity to evolve. Namaste.”

But not everyone has that kind of luxury. Visiting an orphanage in Bali made me question if those kids will ever be able to say, “Wow, losing both my parents by the age of 2 really blew at the time but I’m grateful for the opportunity to evolve.”
hopeorphanagebali.org
As I write this I am in Jimbaran Bay, Bali, a most exquisite part of the world, home to some of the friendliest people on earth. Last night, Pete and I sat at a table on the balmy beach, our toes in the sand, chose fresh whole fish and some gigantic succulent prawns which were soon brought to us barbequed over coconut husks. It was amazing.
Jimbaran Giant BBQ Prawns
What is more amazing is that we could almost re-create this dish at home anytime we chose to. Because we are from the lucky country, with fresh fish, prawns and every other delicious thing at our fingertips whenever the whim takes us. 

Remind me to re-read this the next time I’m bitching about my wrinkles.

Prawn, Mussel and Fish Stew with Fennel 
(Nothing like Jimbaran BBQ Seafood, but anyhoo...)



Serves 2 hungry people for at least a day and a half

500g fat fresh prawns, cleaned and de-veined, head and tail on
1kg small fresh mussels, scrubbed
1 piece of fish fillet of your liking, cut into chunks
Olive oil 
1 onion, diced
1 big clove garlic, crushed
1/2 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
1 cup good white wine
1 400g tin of good tomatoes in juice
Grated peel of 1/2 lemon
chopped dill
chopped parsley
white wine
salt and pepper
crusty bread to serve

Heat some oil in a thick based pan, large enough to hold the entire dish. Add the chopped onion to medium heat and sweat out til translucent. Add the garlic and fennel and stir for a few minutes til there's some colour.

Turn up the heat a little and add the wine, deglazing any coloured stuff off the bottom of the pan. Then add the tinned tomatoes, lemon peel, a good tablespoon of chopped dill and parsley each, and some pepper. Once it's about to boil you need to turn the heat down and simmer for at least 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have lost the raw quality. Check seasoning and adjust.

Bubble, Bubble....
Then, once the base has a nice consistency and colour add the mussels and turn up the heat.  Jam on the lid to contain the heat and allow them to start steaming open.  Check after a minute or so and once a few of them pop open, add the prawns and fish pieces, carefully submerge them in the broth and whack the lid back on, until most of the mussels are open and the fish and prawns have changed colour. Sprinkle with extra chopped parsley. 

Serve with a ladle in deep bowls, making sure you have some of the fennely juices in there to mop up with good crusty Euro-bread. Have a bowl nearby for shells too.  Handy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?